Warning: Clamp down on deadbeat dads

Robert D. Sand, deemed the ‘most wanted’ deadbeat dad has been sentenced to two years in jail for failing to pay over one million in back child support.

Despite the fact that Mr. Sand earned a substantial income he stopped paying child support after two years.  Then he remarried, fathered another child and defaulted on support for that child as well.

After the Nassau County Family court issued a warrant for his arrest, he fled the country for Asia in 2000.  By 2002, the feds had also issued a warrant for his arrest.  Eventually the law caught up with him in Thailand and he pleaded guilty to charges earlier this year.

Although Mr. Sand’s attorney assured the court that his client wanted to do the right thing and set things right, and his exes were anxious for the back child support, the court sentenced him to jail.

In another deadbeat dad case, a judge took over the offender’s budget and ordered that he may not “purchase, lease, or rent” the following:

  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Cigarettes/tobacco products
  • Food or drink from a restaurant, bar or tavern
  • Cell phone
  • Television
  • Computer
  • Any electronic device, except medical equipment
  • DVD, DVR, digital music or digital movie
  • Recreational vehicle
  • Recreational licenses including, but not limited to hunting and fishing licenses
  • Movie tickets
  • Recreational event tickets
  • Airfare or train fare
  • Health club membership
  • Sporting goods
  • Ammunition or firearms
  • Fishing gear
  • Camping or hiking gear
  • Jewelry
  • Magazines or newspapers
  • Cable/satellite TV service
  • Internet service
  • Campground site
  • Hotel room
  • Any real property, except his primary residence

New York takes failure to pay child support seriously

The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance (DTF) files warrants throughout the state to enforce collection of child support and/or combined spousal and back child support.  The Department of State receives a notice that warrants have been filed and maintains a database of the warrant-related notices.  These notices may be searched by debtor name, debtor city, by county of warrant filing, or by any combination thereof.

Further, there are websites dedicated to locating deadbeat dads and bringing them to justice. So, in the end it is likely you will be found if you are trying to avoid making your support payments.

If you have trouble making child support payments contact a LI divorce attorney

Everyone has financial difficulties at some point in their life, but falling behind in child support payments is not the solution.  An experienced LI divorce attorney can help you request a modification order if you are having trouble meeting your obligations.  If you have questions or problems related to making your child support payments contact a divorce attorney for help.

Leave a Reply